• [En]
  • [Fr]
  • [Es]
  • [ar]
  • [Cn]
  • [Ko]

Immigration Law in Netherlands

Immigration Law in Netherlands

Updated on Wednesday 09th September 2015

Rate this article

based on 1 reviews


When deciding to move to the Netherlands it is better to consult one of the expat desks situated in Hague, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Schiphol, Leiden, Eindhoven, Tilburg, Maastricht, Nijmegen, Almeria and Twente. These expat desks are especially designed in order to give you information about the Dutch cities and other relevant information and support you in any legal action taken here in order to immigrate.
The first requirement a foreign immigrant must accomplish in the Netherlands is having a valid VISA obtained from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or the Immigration and Naturalization Service by the application at the Immigration and Naturalization Service. A Provisional Residence permit must be obtained if you wish stay in the Netherlands for more than 3 months. 
Entry and Residence Procedure (TEV procedure). The process of obtaining the right to stay in the Netherlands is obtained by submitting an application for the provisional residence permit and a residence permit by a Dutch sponsor.Only certain nationality doesn’t require a provisional residence permit in the Netherlands. All the foreign documents accompanying the application for residence permit must be officially translated and legalized in Dutch, French or English.
The application can be submitted by a sponsor through post or by you at the Dutch embassy or consulate in your country of origin or the country of continuous residence.
After receiving the application, the INS is sending you the details for paying the nonrefundable registration fees. 
After paying the fees, the INS is allowed to have 90 days to check the application and give a resolution. During this period INS can notify you that the request is approved and you can collect your residence permit from the Dutch consulate or embassy or can announce you that the request was denied and will grant you the possibility to register an objection or not. The residence permit Visa is applied in the passport which needs to have validity longer with three months from the Visa expiration. 
The immigrants are invited to collect their residence permits from the INS desks no later than two weeks from their arrival in Netherlands. The highly skilled immigrants can collect their residence permits from the expat centers. If this residence permit is not yet available, an endorsement sticker is granted with provisional effect. 
The residence permit can be obtained for a maximum period of five years. 
Other requirements. In the beginning, you will need to register in the Municipal Personal Records Database and take a tuberculosis test. After that the civic integration must be obtained after receiving the official letter from DUO. The letter is stating the conditions and the period of time necessary for obtaining the integration. The Civic Integration Examination Abroad tests your basic knowledge of Dutch language and society. 
Residency permits extension. With three months before residency permit expires, your sponsor is receiving a notification regarding this fact and a new application must be submitted to the INS, the notification received by the sponsor contains a custom-made application form to use if you wish to extend your stay. This application can also be obtained from the INS website. Along with this application you need to submit a recent and new passport photograph and a copy of the front and back of your current residence permit.
Only the owners of a permanent residence permit or a permanent residence document for EU citizens and their family members don’t need to apply with the same documents as the regular owners of residence permits. 


There are no comments

Comments & Requests

Please note that client queries should NOT be posted here but sent through our Contact page.